Gilding your home accessories is a simple, affordable way of updating your interiors, and nothing says effortless elegance than a classic gold leaf design.
These days, you can add gold to your décor using the classic gilding technique or spray painting your accessories in metallic gold. Either way, using a gold leaf design is affordable and can be finished in minutes. Gold leafing packs a bold punch and is an easy way to add beautiful accents to your home.
Classic Gilding Technique
- Painter’s tape
- Scrapbooking glue
- Gold leaf foil/sheets
- Large sheet of plastic or newspaper
- Soft brush (or an old makeup brush)
How to apply gold leaf:
- Use painter’s tape to cover areas that you don’t want to gild
- Cover the desired area with glue
- Apply the gold leaf foil on the glue-covered area; you can smooth it out or leave it a bit rough, depending on the look you’re going for
- Let the glue dry completely; it can sometimes take more than an hour
- Brush off the excess gold leaf; the sheet is delicate so don’t apply too much pressure
My favorite gilded items:
Gold leaf vase
This is a great example of a rough application. It gives the vase a rustic yet striking look. Check out the full tutorial here.