You’re going to spend your first Christmas in your new home, and you just bought your first artificial Christmas tree. You’re so excited to decorate, but then you realize you have no idea how to attach these long wires of Christmas lights to your tree!
For beginners, eHow Home offers these basic steps on how to string lights onto your Christmas tree:
- Set up your tree in a tree stand. Do not hang any ornaments yet.
- Get out all your Christmas lights. Join the strings together and test the lights. Replace any dead or dying bulbs and make sure the cord isn’t damaged.
- Unplug the cord.
- Climb on a chair or stepladder, if necessary, and attach the socket end of the cord to the top of the tree.
- Walk around the tree, barely tucking the cord into the branches in a gradually lowering spiral. (Make sure the plug end will reach the electrical socket. You can use an extension cord if you need to.)
- Step back and take a look: Are the rows basically even? Will the whole tree be lit? Make any necessary adjustments.
- Climb back on the chair and repeat your spiral pattern, this time attaching the cord to the branches (if applicable). Tuck the cord in to hide it as much as possible.