Around Christmas time, the living room is often used for get-togethers with friends and loved ones. It’s where the family congregates after a hearty holiday feast, or sips eggnog while opening presents on Christmas morning. Here are some ideas to help you decorate your living area for the holidays:
- Bring about a sense of nostalgia by turning off all ambient lighting and illuminating the room with twinkling lights from your Christmas tree instead. Add candles and votive lamps to help set the stage for intimate conversations.
- Decorate your tree with personal and meaningful items. Use the tree as a platform for displaying your children’s holiday art work. Attach strings on old Christmas cards and hang them on the branches, and you have ornaments that are both beautiful and sentimental.
- Bring out your collection of family holiday pictures and put them on Christmas-themed frames. Arrange them on tables or hang them on walls to enjoy a trip down memory lane.
- Have a chalkboard by the tree or the fireplace so the children can leave messages for Santa. Not only do you help the kids create wonderful memories, you also provide heart-warming, conversation pieces for family and friends.
- Put up a Christmas village on the side table. There’s no need to buy an expensive set; the things lying around your household can be perfect materials. Begin by laying out your children’s old train set, dolls and tiny houses. Use different kinds of paper to create snowflakes and stars, and popsicles and match sticks to fashion log cabins. This is a wonderful décor that spruces up your home, and provides a wonderful bonding moment with the family.
A warm and cozy living room adorned with meaningful ornaments helps the family create a rich Christmas history that will be passed on from generation to generation.