Gift boxes can be quite expensive but you don’t have to purchase them for each of the gifts you will be giving away. Paper boxes are great alternatives because they’re economical and customizable. You can choose the texture, color and thickness of the paper as well as the type or pattern of the box. In addition to all this, the recipients feel even more special when they find out that you made the gift box yourself!
The following is a guide on how you can make a simple box from two square sheets of paper.
You will need:
- 2 pieces of short bond paper, construction paper or cardstock (8.5” x 11”)
- Glue or paste (optional
Step 1: Cut the squares
- Fold one piece of paper diagonally. Cut out the rectangular excess to make a square. This will be your lid.
- The second paper will be your main box so you need to make it smaller for the lid to cover it. To make the second piece, you can cut it the same way as the first square, only you need to draw a line 3/8” from the edge for two perpendicular sides. Cut it along this line.
Step 2: Crease the squares
- Crease the square paper across the middle on every side.
- Fold all the corners of the paper into the center, and then fold the sides to the center. Turn the paper 90 degrees and repeat.
Step 3: Tuck the corners
- Unfold all the creases you made except two corners that face each other.
- Tuck the wall corners in then fold the bigger corner over and into the box’s base.
- Repeat this process for the other side.
Do the same steps on the other paper. After you’re done with your box and lid, put your gift inside and secure with a pretty ribbon.
Many people say that Christmas is the most costly holiday, partly because of the gift-giving tradition. The fun challenge here is looking for ways to save money while making it special for your friends and family.by